I'd rather wash feet...

So it's about "service", this week in The Journey.

I was eager to serve, I love to serve, I can easily serve too much and for wrong motives. I work in a serving profession. I generally joyfully serve. So what's there to learn, right?

No, I didn't go into it that glibly, or that naively this week. I knew there would be lots to learn...there always is...

Some of the tasks of this week are service that I gladly take on.
In fact, I can't think of any task that I don't want to take on.

But what I'm finding is a complete and utter inability to serve well.
It's not I don't like the task, I do.
It's not that I don't think the other needs serving, they do.
It's not that I don't want to, I do.
I just keep stumbling at it.
I guess I stumble over myself.
My selfishness and impatience gets in the way.
I start out wanting to serve and bless,
And end up irritated and frustrated.
It's not about the task.
It seems, there is something wrong with my heart
At a very core level
That I cannot seem to reach

I'd do better washing feet
(well, at least for a day or two...)

(*The painting--hangs on my living room wall--a gift from a dear friend, an original...and a great reminder. No faces in the picture. So...just who is washing feet? It is not limited.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails