disreputable sinners

There is a smiley face in the margin in my Bible next to this verse, especially this part:

 "...disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus' followers.)"

I love it, the crowds He attracted. Do I attract the same kind of crowds? This was what I read as I prayed and sought wisdom for a conversation with someone. She has done wrong. She is struggling. I hope I can love her in such a way that she wants to grow, but still wants to stick around, even when she stumbles, even when she falls.

The whole verse: 

"Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, 
along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. 
(There were many people of this kind among Jesus' followers.)"
Mark 2:15, NLT

Perhaps the problem comes when I forget that I, too, am a disreputable sinner, or that if I have passed by some of the "sinning" that others do, it is only by the grace of God--somehow I was taught things they weren't, somehow circumstances were different for me. I am just as capable, of every kind of sin, as the next person.

He welcomes us all to follow. He welcomes us all to the table, all of us disreputable sinners. Thank you Jesus!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails