Learning to Abide

What does it mean to "abide" or "remain" in the vine? I've been asking that question and seeking to learn to live it for years now. Time and again I find myself hovering in John 14-17, realizing again that ... if and when I figure out how to live all that is there, this will be life fulfilled, lived joyful, lived well.

I'm there again, hovering, reading and then reading again. (I guess it may be called "meditating"?)

I want to learn to abide, remain in Jesus, remain in His love, remain in His presence. Yesterday was good, as the stresses and frustrations came--changes, people not understanding, a 'quick trip to the hospital' becoming 6 hours there. But I was reminded to turn to Jesus, and as I turned, and asked and listened...new thoughts came, broader and wider perspectives... Oh, I didn't get it all right. Sometimes I did not turn quickly enough, did not listen first to Him before responding. But hopefully I am learning, and getting better at this.


No matter what the stresses of life, no matter what the challenges that come, there is and can be love and patience for others, there is grace that I can receive and live out.

Today, once again I turn toward Him, once again I seek to abide.

As the Father has loved me
so have I loved you.
Abide in my love.
If you keep my commandments,
you will abide in my love,
just as I have kept my Father's commandments
and abide in His love.
These things I have spoken to you
that my joy may be in you,
and that your joy may be full.
This is my commandment, 
that you love one another
as I have loved you.
Greater love has no one than this,
That someone lay down his life for his friends.
Jn. 15:9-13

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails