To be a Rock

a rock
a stone
or...steel
or...a wall

Something hard, impenetrable
Something that cannot feel, cannot be hurt

It's what I considered yesterday
What I wanted to become

"How else can I live?"
That's what I think sometimes

But there is another way, and today I'm reminded.

My opening prayer for the week is Psalm 62

When I saw it would be Psalm 62, I immediately thought of verse 8 and the invitation to "Pour out your heart to him" that has been such a blessing to me through the years--pour it out, pour it all out, not just the nice and the pretty, the praise, but even the ugly--the confusion, doubts, even anger.

I thought of verse 8, but I also wondered: "Could there be more, something I've missed in the past, in the rest of the chapter?"

And...there is more. I don't know how strongly I'll remember these other parts into the future, but I do note them today, and this week... Here are vv. 1-8, NLT, emphasis mine.


1 I wait quietly before God,
    for my victory comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will never be shaken.
3 So many enemies against one man—
    all of them trying to kill me.
To them I’m just a broken-down wall
    or a tottering fence.
4 They plan to topple me from my high position.
    They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
    but curse me in their hearts. Interlude
5 Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will not be shaken.

7 My victory and honor come from God alone.
    He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
8 O my people, trust in him at all times.
    Pour out your heart to him,
    for God is our refuge. Interlude

Ah...
So...no
I don't need to be a rock, to be safe
I am a broken down wall
I don't need to build a new one, a strong one

Instead
I can go crawling into a rock
Crawling home to my God
Perhaps for some time I need to just be silent
With those where the pain is fresh
Silent...not to build a wall or be a rock
But waiting on God
He might reveal something
He might give perspective
But I don't need to become hard
Hiding there
I am safe
This rock can take the blows
And I am allowed to just hide
For a while 

Thank You Lord

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails